This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Get My $1,200 Montgomery GI Bill Contribution Back?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: If I switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, will I get my $1,200 back that I had to pay during my first year of enlistment? If I can that would be great because I could use the money to pay off a few bills Thanks for your time.

A: If you have never used your Montgomery GI Bill, and you switch, yes you can get all of your contribution back, but the key is you have to first use up your 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. Your contribution will come as part of your last housing allowance check.

If you have used some of your MGIB benefits and switch, then you will get a prorated amount of your contribution back once you expend your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. If you have used all of your MGIB benefits up and then switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get the additional 12 months, you do not get anything back as you used up your original 36 months which is what your contribution purchased.

Comments  (2)

I was honorably dicharged but didnt get my bill because of my reason for leaving …but that 1200…thats still mine and its been years but i want it back…im strugling and its my money so i want it back!!!!

posted by Tara Cleveland
4:26 pm on December 8, 2012

Well, you most likely won’t get it back.

posted by Ron Kness
10:41 am on December 23, 2012
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)