This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I and When Should I Switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: What’s the requirement for requesting Post-9/11 GI Bill after exhausting MGIB? Hi, I have 10months left on my old GI Bill and have enrolled in a local university for classes. I was thinking of changing to the Post-9/11 GI Bill but read on the GI Bill website that there is the option of exhausting the old bill and the requesting Post-9/11. Do you know how this works? I was AF active duty from 1999 to 2005 and was honorably discharged. Thanks.

A: Yes I do know how it works. Once you have exhausted your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), send in a new VA Form 22-1990 indicating you want to convert to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Once your  MGIB benefits are exhausted, you will get 12 additional months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

If you run out of MGIB benefits mid-term, the VA will “loan” you the months and days you need to get you to the end of the term. Then they will subtract that amount from your additional 12 months. So when you see it, it might be less than 12 months, but now you will know why, if that happens to you. If you have enough MGIB benefits to run you to the end of the term, then you should see the full 12 months.

Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)