This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Does TEB Apply to Any Four-year Re-enlistment?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Wondering about TEB benefits transfer to my daughter.  I plan on reenlisting for Europe in 4 months in the Bravo zone. Is TEB only for needs of the Army or for any reenlistment of 4 years?

A: Any four-year re-enlistment qualifies. You have to have served at least six-years before agreeing to another four years.

Keep in mind the following things when transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your daughter:

  • she has to be current in DEERS before you can initiate the transfer;
  • you can transfer any or all of your education benefits to her;
  • she can start using her transferred benefits starting at age 18 or upon her getting her high school diploma;
  • she has until age 26 to use her transferred benefits;
  • she will get the housing allowance based on the zip code of her school paid at the E-5 with dependents rate;
  • she can get up to $1,000 per year in a book stipend;

As the TEB sponsor, you retain the right to revoke any transferred Army education benefits or if you did a partial transfer, you can transfer more months to her at any time. TEB is just one of the great features of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. It is great to see you thinking ahead so your daughter can share in the use of your earned GI Bill benefit.

Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)