This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Did My Husband Really Transfer Benefits to Me?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband is in the National Guard and he told me that he gave me his GI Bill. I was wondering how I can find out if he actually did? Also, how would I use it if I do have it, is there a form I have to fill out?

A: Being your husband is in the National Guard, the only way he could qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill is if he deployed on an active duty Title 10 order for a contingency operation order (such as Iraq or Afghanistan). A typical one-year deployment would get him to the 60% level, meaning the VA would pay up to 60% of his tuition and fees directly to his school and he would get 60% of both the housing allowance and book stipend. As a recipient of transferred benefits, you would be at the same percentage of payment as if he was using the benefits. A second 12-month deployment would get him to the 80% level.

If he has not deployed, then he has the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve, which does not have a transfer-to-dependents option.

The way to find out if he really did transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to you or not is to send in your GI Bill application. Go to the VONAPPS website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. If your husband transferred benefits to you then you will get back a Certificate of Application that you will need when enrolling in school under the Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits. If he did not, then your application will be denied.

Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)