This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use the Post 9/11 GI Bill for Flight School or My Pilot’s License?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Can I use my Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill for Flight School and in getting my pilot’s license?

A: You can’t use the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get your private pilot’s license, but you might be able to use it for flight school, providing your flight school is a four-year aviation program taught by a VA-accredited college or university.

If you plan on going to a flight school that does not issue you at least an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree, then no, the Post 9/11 GI Bill will not pay for flight school, however, the Montgomery GI Bill would.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is focused on students attending degree-producing schools. If your flight school is a non-degree school, the Post 9/11 GI Bill will most likely not cover your training. The GI Bill in general will not pay you to get a private pilot’s license because that is viewed more of an avocation instead of a vocation.

The whole purpose of using the GI Bill is to get you an education you can use to establish a career and having a private pilot’s license in most cases does not qualify. And yes an argument could be made that being a bush pilot in Alaska is a career, but you would still have to pay for your private pilot’s license.

Comments  (2)

Yes you can use chapter 33 post 9/11 gibill to obtain pilots license including PRIVATE PILOT, as long as its a part 141 Institute of Higher Learning College and its part of your degree program. You also have to check with the college to make sure they have it set up this way as some don’t and some are part 61. I’m going to Kstate Salina and they have it set up this way.

posted by James Moore
6:25 pm on October 24, 2010

Thanks James. I had never run into that before.


posted by Ron Kness
9:10 am on October 29, 2010
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)