Promotion Points Authorized for APFT, Weapons Qualification, Awards, Decorations and Achievements
APFT Score / Promotion Points:
Weapons Score / Promotion Points:
Awards, Decorations and Achievements (Permanent Awards)
Multiply the number of points authorized by the number of awards received.
(1) Soldier's Medal or higher award - 35
(2) Bronze Star Medal (BSM) - 30
(3) Purple Heart - 30
(4) Defense Meritorious Service Medal - 25
(5) Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) - 25
(6) Air Medal - 20
(7) Joint Service Commendation Medal - 20
(8) Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) - 20
(9) Joint Service Achievement Medal - 15
(10) Army Achievement Medal (AAM) - 15
(11) Good Conduct Medal - 10
(12) Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal - 10
(13) Southwest Asia Medal - 3 (Points are based on a 30-day period and only points for Operations Desert Shield/Storm and Provide Comfort (1990-1994) are authorized. Soldier must have served at least 90-consecutive days. The
ERB is the source document.) - maximum points - 12
(1) Combat Infantry Badge - 15
(2) Combat Field Medical Badge - 15
(3) Expert Infantry Badge - 10
(4) Expert Field Medical Badge - 10
(5) Basic US Army Recruiter Badge - 10 (each subsequent award, that is, Gold Achievement Star, Gold Recruiter Badge, Sapphire Achievement Star, will receive 5 points) - maximum points - 25
(6) Ranger Tab - 10
(7) Special Forces Tab - 10
(8) Drill Sergeant Identification Badge - 10 (additional 5 points for company or higher level drill sergeant of the cycle) maximum points - 25
(9) Parachutist Badge - 5
(a) Awards of higher skill badge count as subsequent awards and will receive points. For example a soldier awarded the Senior Parachutist Badge and the Parachutist Badge will be credited with two parachutist badges (10 points).
(b) Soldiers who have been awarded the parachutist badge, are currently serving in an approved TOE/TDA or paid parachutist position and are entitled to receive incentive pay for parachute duty will be awarded extra points, as follows: Parachutist, 20 points; Senior, 25 points; Master, 30 points.
(c) Soldiers who receive additional points under these provisions and whose status is terminated either voluntarily or for cause will be subject to an immediate adjustment of their promotion points.
(d) For soldiers who are reassigned, the following action will be taken:
1. Losing commander will ensure the promotion points are reduced prior to departure (this can be accomplished during out processing).
2. The officer in charge of in-processing will ensure that if the soldier is assigned to an airborne position, the promotion points are increased. This will be accomplished during in-processing.
(10) Parachute Rigger Badge - 5
(11) Divers Badge - 5
(12) Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge - 5
(13) Pathfinder Badge - 5
(14) Aircraft Crewman Badge - 5
(15) Nuclear Reactor Operator Badge - 5
(16) Driver or Mechanic Badge (maximum 5 points) - 5
(17) Air Assault Badge - 5
(18) Campaign Star (Battle Star) - 5
(19) Tomb Guard Identification Badge - 5
The board proceedings, award certificate, or DA Form 1059, Service School Academic Evaluation Report may be used as source documents.
(1) Soldier/NCO of the Quarter - BDE Level - 10
(2) Soldier/NCO of the Quarter - Installation/Division - 15
(3) Soldier/NCO of the Year - MACOM - 25
(4) Distinguished Honor Graduate - 15
(5) Distinguished Leadership Award - 10
(6) Commandants List - 5
The Good Conduct Medal ending date (period of service) will be used to determine eligibility for promotion points (orders issued late do not result in a retroactive promotion point adjustment). The date of the order or ending
period, whichever is later, will be used to determine eligibility for promotion points on all remaining awards (for example, Army Achievement Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal).
Foreign Awards: Promotion points are not authorized for foreign awards, decoration(s) or badges.
Other U.S. Uniformed Services: Awards and decorations earned in other U.S. Uniformed Services receive the same points as corresponding/equivalent Army awards.
Certificate of Achievement: Certificate of Achievement awarded by commanders/deputy commanders serving in positions authorized the grade of LTC or higher or any general officer. CSMs at the brigade level may award certificates of achievement. - 5.
(maximum 20 points)