Pledge of Allegiance to the flag
Soldiers may recite the Pledge of Allegiance as noted below in accordance with Section 4, Title 4, United States Code (4 USC 4):
- During military ceremonies, soldiers will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
- At official functions, social events, and sporting events, soldiers should:
- When in uniform, outdoors, stand at attention, remain silent, face the flag, and render the hand salute.
- When in uniform, indoors, stand at attention, remain silent, and face the flag.
- When in civilian attire, stand at attention, face the flag with the right hand over the heart and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Headgear should be removed with the right hand and held over the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.
The Pledge of Allegiance:
I pledge allegiance
to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands,
and justice for all.