DD FORMS 214 (CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OR DISCHARGE FROM ACTIVE DUTY) AND 215 (CORRECTION TO CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OR DISCHARGE FROM ACTIVE DUTY) DISTRIBUTION
A. Department of Defense Instruction (DODI) 1336.1 dated January 6, 1989, subject: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series)
B. Office of the Under Secretary of Defense Memorandum dated February 28, 2003, subject: Administrative Change to Department of Defense Instruction (DODI 1336.1, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/215 Series))"
C. AR 635-5, Separations Documents, dated 15 September 2000.
D. MILPER MESSAGE 05-160 (AHRC-PDZ-RC issued 30Jun05), SUBJECT: Distribution of DD Form 214s and Release from Active Duty (REFRAD) and Separation Orders for Mobilized Reserve Component Soldiers is rescinded.
E. Transition Center (TC) Newsletter 04-01 (dated 7Nov03), paragraph 4. F. "Distribution" is rescinded.
1. This message will expire 31 October 2007.
2. This message clarifies the above references concerning the distribution of the DD Forms 214 and 215.
3. Only copy 4 of the DD Form 214 can be released before a Soldier's separation date. The remaining copies will be distributed on the first workday after the Soldier's separation date; however, no later than the fifth workday after the Soldier's separation date. Specific details for distribution of the eight copies are as follows:
(a) Copy 1: Presented or mailed to a Soldier on his/her transition date. (For discharged alien deserters, mail a reproduced copy of copy 1 to U.S. Department of State, Annex #2, Washington, D.C. 20520 (include place of birth in item 18)).
(b) Copy 2: For the Soldier's Official Military File (OMPF) maintained by the Record's Custodian as specified in paragraph 6 below. This copy must be sent to the Record's Custodian as part of the "Separation Packet." The "Separation Packet" must contain:
(1) DD Form 214, Copy 2
(2) Separation Orders and Amending Orders/Endorsements
(3) DD Form 2648 (Pre-Separation Counseling Checklist)
(4) SGLV 8286 (SGLV Election - if available)
(5) DD Form 93 (Record of Emergency Data - if available)
(6) ORB/ERB/DA Form 2-1, as applicable
(7) DD Form 4 series if enlisted in Reserve/NG
(8) Chapter packet, if applicable - the approval endorsement should be the first page.
(c) Copy 3: Mail to Department of Veterans Affairs, Austin Automation Center (214), 1615 Woodward Street, Austin, TX 78772. (Reproduced copies will need to accompany health records.)
(d) Copy 4: Present to Soldier when s/he departs the Transition Center (TC) on permissive temporary duty (PTDY) in conjunction with transition leave.
(e) Copy 5: Mail to Lockheed Martin Information Technology, U.S. Department of Labor, Federal Claims Control Center, P. O. Box 785070, Orlando, FL 32878-5070.
(f) Copy 6: Mail to State Director of Veterans Affairs. Soldier must specify the State. State addresses available from www.nasdva.com.
(g) Copy 7: Forward to installation Finance Office. For Demob Soldiers ensure the SRP finance office receives a copy.
(h) Copy 8: Filed at TC. This copy in conjunction with a copy of the Soldier's separation packet becomes the TC Administrative File, which is designated a 6-month file per AR 25-400-2 (maintained for one year).
4. Use of electronically transmitted DD Forms 214 (copy 2)/separation packets under protected communications is encouraged whenever possible. Web scanning is preferred. Each TC will coordinate with each of the respective Record's Custodian for their IP address.
5. Records Custodians:
(a) Active Duty Officer: Cdr, HRC-Alexandria, ATTN: AHRC-MSR, 200, RM 5N63, 200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332-0444.
(b) Active Duty Enlisted: Cdr, U.S. Army Enlisted Records and Evaluation Center, ATTN: PCRE-FT, 8899 E. 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-5301.
(c) USAR Soldiers (Officer and Enlisted) - Cdr, AHRC, St Louis, ATTN: AHRC-CISP-P, 1 Reserve Way, St Louis, MO 63132-5200.
(d) All Army National Guard Officers, Warrant Officer, and Enlisted: Respective State MILPO/AG - state addresses at http://www.ngb.army.mil/ngbgomo/library/roster.asp
6. Additional distribution is needed for Recalled Retirees reverting to the retired status. Forward a copy (of copy 2) to Cdr, ARHC-St Louis, ATTN: AHRC-PLM-O, 1 Reserve Way, St Louis, MO 63132-5200. Commercial FAX # 314-592-1003 or DSN: 892.
(a) AHRC-Officer Records: Ms. McGuire, (703) 325-9606, (DSN: 221), email: Thersa.McGuire@hoffman.army.mil.
(b) AHRC-Indianapolis: Mr. Eclava, (317) 510-3716 (DSN: 699), email: Antonio.Eclava@erec.army.mil.
(c) AHRC-St Louis: LTC Manaois, (314) 592-0620 (DSN:892), email: Ranelle.A.Manaois@us.army.mil.
(d) National Guard: ARP Customer Service, Mr. Vernell Hill, (703)607-9110, (DSN: 327) email: NGB214s@ngb.army.mil.
(e) AHRC Records Proponent: Ms. Williams, (703) 325-3834 (DSN: 221), email: Doris.email@example.com.
(f) IMA: Ms. Strayhorn, (703) 602-0544 (DSN: 332), email: Rosa.Strayhorn@hqda.army.mil.
(g) Transition Proponent - Ms. Snider, (703) 325-4148 (DSN: 221)