Branch Insignia: Two signal flags crossed, dexter flag white with a red center, the sinister flag red with a white center, staffs gold, with a flaming torch of gold color metal upright at center of crossed flags; 7/8 inch in height.
"Crossed flags" have been used by the Signal Corps since 1868, when they were prescribed for wear on the uniform coat by enlisted men of the Signal Corps. In 1884, a burning torch was added to the insignia and the present design adopted on 1 July 1884. The flags and torch are symbolic of signaling or communication.
Branch Plaque: The plaque design has the branch insignia proper (red, white, and gold) with gold letters. The outer rim is gold with a narrow band of orange. The background is white.
Regimental Insignia: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches in height consisting of a gold eagle grasping a horizontal baton from which is suspended a red signal flag with a white center, enclosing the flag from a star at the bottom, a wreath of laurel all gold and a top left and right a white scroll inscribed "PRO PATRIA" at left and "VIGILANS" at right in gold. The regimental insignia was approved on 20 Mar 1986.
Regimental Coat of Arms: The coat of arms appears on the breast of a displayed eagle on the regimental flag. The coat of arms is: Argent, within a bordure Tenne a baton fesswise Or and suspended therefrom a signal flag Gules charged at center with a square of the first, in chief a mullet bronze. Displayed above the eagle's head is the crest: On a wreath of the Argent and Tenne, a dexter hand couped at the wrist, clenched, palm affronte, grasping three forked lightning flashes, all Proper, flashes Argent.
Symbolism of Regimental Insignia: The gold eagle holds in his talons a golden baton, from which descends a signal flag. The design originated in 1865 from a meeting of Signal Corps officers, led by Major Albert Myer, the Chief Signal Officer, in Washington, DC. The badge was a symbol of faithful service and good fellowship for those who served together in war and was called the "Order of the Signal Corps." The motto "PRO PATRIA VIGILANS" was adopted from the Signal School insignia and serves to portray the cohesiveness of Signal soldiers and their affiliation with their regimental home. The gold laurel wreath depicts the myriad of achievements through strength made by the Corps since its inception. The battle star centered on the wreath represents formal recognition for participation in combat. It adorned a Signal flag and was first awarded to Signal Corps soldiers in 1862. The battle star typifies the close operational relationship between the combined arms and the Signal Corps.
The Coat of Arms has the Signal flag suspended from a baton, which was adopted from the badge that originated in 1865 and was called the "Order of the Signal Corps." The bronze battle star represents formal recognition for participation in combat; it adorned a signal flag and was first awarded to Signal Corps soldiers in 1862. Orange and white are the traditional colors of the Signal Corp. The hand on the crest personifying the Corps has grasped the lightning from the heavens, and is applying to military communications.
Branch Colors: Orange piped with white. Orange - 65004 cloth; 67110 yarn; PMS 1655. White - 65005 cloth; 67101 yarn; PMS White.
Orange was selected in 1872 as the Signal Corps branch color. In 1902, the white piping was added to conform to the custom that prevailed of having piping of a different color for all branches except the line branches.
Birthday: 21 June 1860. The Signal Corps was authorized as a separate branch of the Army by act of Congress on 3 March 1863. However, the Signal Corps dates its existence from 21 June 1860 when Congress authorized the appointment of one signal officer in the Army, and a War Department order carried the following assignment: "Signal Department - Assistant Surgeon Albert J. Myer to be Signal Officer, with the rank of Major, June 17, 1860, to fill an original vacancy."